

Here are a couple pictures of my classroom before I set it up! It is quite an amazing thing for me to know that I have my own classroom now that says, "Mr. Hays" outside of it! Today was the first day of new staff orientation at the school (Hinkson Christian Academy), and I loved meeting everyone. It already feels like family...I feel right at home. Praise God!
I was able to ride the public buses today for the first time, and I made it safely home all by myself (I know you're proud, Mom :) ). It was a bit awkward, though. I have noticed - and I might be wrong because it's only my first impression - that the Russian people don't show much expression. The entire time I was on the bus in the morning and evening (about one hour total), no one said a word to anyone else. Instead, everyone appeared quite solemn. Rarely did I see joy in their eyes. I do not claim to know what each of their personal lives is like, but I do know that my heart wants them to know the love and joy of Jesus. Maybe they do, but they don't express it on their faces. I pray that the presence of Christ can transcend the language barrier.
This evening, I was able to attend my first prayer meeting at Moscow First Church of the Nazarene, and it was awesome! The Russian Christians have such a heart for our Lord! Their passion in prayer was very humbling to me. Although I couldn't understand most of the words they were praying, we were one in spirit, and I could sense the sincerity of their hearts. I was told after the meeting that a number of people had prayed for me!
Please pray for Davide Cantarella as he is travelling to the Ukraine on Sunday to speak at a youth conference. Please also pray for his wife Tanya, who is coordinating a youth camp for all of the 13-24 year-olds on the district. Please pray for God to give me abundant wisdom as I prepare for the first day of school and move into my permanent apartment within the next 2-3 days.

12 Comments:
Hi Luke,
It's great to hear from you and to know that you've arrived safely. The pictures of your classroom are impressive; I'm looking forward to seeing the "after" picture also--you know with bulletin boards and learning centers all arranged! :-)
I'm praying for you; I'm sure there will be times when you'll be homesick, etc., but at those times, just remember what a wonderful experience this year will be for you.
I'm here in the office trying to get ready as well for another exciting semester; hopefully my students will love children's literature as much as I do!
Keep smiling!
Dr. Streit (feel free to call me Marla)
Luke,
It is so good to hear from you! I cannot imagine what it would be like to travel to a totally different place and teach. What a scary yet awesome adventure that would be!
I will be praying for you as you walk through the streets filled with temptation into a classroom where you are not just a teacher, but a role model. I pray that each day, no matter what it holds, will be an opportunity for your to live out your goal.
Shine the light, Mr. Hays. May all those you come in contact with, remember the source.
Luke you're an awesome man and I know God is going to do AMAZING things through you while you're there as well as the rest of your life. I do however want to know when the "spiderman costume" is going to be wore to class for your students...if it was good enough for 3rd floor Chapman it's good enough for young Russian kids :)
Luke,
There will be a lot of love, laughter, light, and learning within those four walls this year! I am so excited for you! The Master Teacher will be your Guide!
Joy must first come from the inside and shine through. However, in Russia it has been taught that showing this joy is not acceptable. While it is shocking it is the way of life for Russians as well as the British. Make sure to celebrate those simple smiles of your students and any others you come in contact with, for they are baby steps toward allowing God's joy to fully shine through in a culture where public emotion is looked down upon.
Lukey,
Sweet site, pal. I've thought and prayed about you a lot over the past few days. I'm so proud to claim you as my friend. I love you little buddy. Christ spoke to me this morning and told me "Do not ever be ashamed to share My Gospel". Sometimes spreading His light may seem awkward, but never forget that you are one of God's chosen and He is always with you. Feel free to call or email me at any time. God Bless you, Brother...
Luke,
I'm so glad to hear things are going well so far! Love your classroom, it looks super cool! Hey, you'll be in my prayers bro, and I'll be checking in here often!
-G
Hi Luke:
It's great to see how you are doing in Russia. I'll bet that there is some adjustment to make to a new culture. I'll pray for you.
remember to be humble....so you can see the whole picture
Luke,
I emailed you a second ago but I wanted to post a little note here as well in case you didn't check your email. I am SO EXCITED for you and to see what God has in store. WOW---what an amazing and exciting adventure God has set in front of you, and just think, He's providing EVERYTHING you need to get you through it! You are "luminous," Luke, just continue to remember with a humble heart that this light is not yours. Just like the moon, you are merely a reflection of the light of the sun---but what a marvelous reflection that is--the moon can light up even the darkest of nights!!! What a privilege to be used to advance the kingdom of God. Keep your eyes and heart focused on him. Love you always, brother...Molly
Luke- You know that Dave and I are praying for you daily. Picture us on the red couch in our living room- that's where we pray for you. I must admit though, I prayed as much for your mom this week as I did for you:)! Can't wait to see your classroom when it is done. Did you find a teacher store yet for materials?
The two chairs are still sitting outside the old house in town. It makes me sad to see them but then I remind myself to be thankful for the unbelievable summer you and Troy had and the future God has in store for both of you.
We got to celebrate with Lance today about the golf team.I am so proud of him as I know you are too. We love you buddy! Bobbie and Dave
Hi Luke,
You have been in my prayers. I talked to your mother last week and told her that I know what she is going through because I went though it when JoAnn was in Argentina. God be with you and I'm praying for you.
Pat Leslie
Post a Comment
<< Home