Tuesday, October 03, 2006





Thursday night was an evening that I will cherish for a long time. I was at the school late in order to finish writing a quiz and a newsletter that had to be ready for Friday, and as is my regular custom now when I’m at the school in the quiet of the day, I put an American movie into my computer to help keep things more lighthearted (just hearing the movie while I work is very comforting, almost as if I’m back home.) I had felt a strong desire to watch “It’s a Wonderful Life” while I was on the ride to school on Thursday morning, so that’s what I played once all the students were gone. I’m so glad I did. “It’s a Wonderful Life” is one of the most powerful movies I’ve ever seen, and according to a TV show on CBS this past summer, it is ranked as the #1 most inspirational movie of all time. And every time I watch it, I cry at the end…without fail. Through the unfolding events of the depressed hero of Bedford Falls, George Bailey, and his simple, warm-hearted guardian angel, Clarence (AS2…Angel Second Class), an unforgettable lesson is taught about the impact of one’s life. At one point, Clarence says, “Each man’s life touches so many other lives.” That line connected with me on so many levels. I began to think of what this world would be like if Jesus Christ had never come to Earth. His life has forever changed and continues to change billions of lives; I shudder to think of a world void of Jesus. Then I thought of how the theme of ecology (“everything’s connected”) is coming into crisp focus in my life right now. Never before have I witnessed the interconnectedness of the body of Christ like I have since coming to Moscow. So many people really care. So many people are interested in what I’m doing. So many people have given of their own resources to make my dream come true. So many people live a life of love. So many people go to God on my behalf in prayer at all hours of the day or night, just like the scores of people who were prayed for George Bailey in his darkest hour. (Thank you! Thank you!) When this cinematic treasure reached its climax and George Bailey was overjoyed to see his bleeding lip, wrecked car, fellow townspeople, “drafty old barn” of a house, broken stairwell, law officials out to arrest him, and his wife and kids, the tears began to well up. George had once again reminded me that the joy of knowing and loving people far outweighs the pain that comes within those relationships. Then the tears started to flow down my face at the same point in the movie that they always do: when all of the people whose lives have been touched by George come one by one to pay tribute and money to him, thus saving the Bailey Building & Loan. And they poured their love and money to overflowing…much more than George would ever have expected. My heart was so touched because I feel like George Bailey. I am here because of obedience to God’s calling and the overflowing love and generosity of many, many people. I know the joy of being loved! Clarence’s timeless words within the copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer that he gave to George echoed even louder in my soul this time: “No man is a failure who has friends.” If I can be a little creative with some words, we can say that the best friend we could ever have, Jesus Christ, is the Bedrock on which everything in our lives can Fall (change Bedford Falls to Bedrock Falls)! When everything else is pressing in, on, around, and down, a life founded upon the Rock of Christ cannot be moved for it knows the unspeakable joy of the One who has borne it all. I praise you, Lord Jesus, for changing this world by touching lives! Thank you for changing me! Please help me to not forget the incredible power of one life. Please help me to daily see and live the life of joy that often lies well below the tumultuous and stormy surface of life’s pains and sorrows. Thank you for the powerful reminder you gave me in this movie!

School continues to go well, but not without its many challenges. Each day presents so many surprises, unexpected happenings, and stressors, and I must continually choose to see the big picture. There's a tremendous amount of work, prayer, and pressure that goes into effective teaching, but I'm making it one day at a time (I'm so glad that God broke time into regularly repeated time intervals!) Thank you for the prayers for my students who are struggling. There is already noticeable improvement in both cases!

The pictures you see above are from the Harvest Sunday that we had at Moscow First Church on Sunday. It was awesome! After the service, the whole church gathered to eat a feast together, thanking God for the bounty that He has given us this year. It was delicious! For drinks we had chai (tea)...hot chai is a staple of nearly all homes, meals, and social gatherings here in Russia. Fruits and vegetables were even gathered from the farms and dachas (summer homes) on the outskirts of Moscow. After eating with the whole church family on Sunday and sharing in the celebration of harvest (plus some great skits and children's productions), I can say that the Russians I know definitely know how to come together and support each other in celebration and prayer.

This week we have a short week of school (half day of school on Thursday and no school on Friday) because of our staff retreat! The entire school staff will be traveling 3-4 hours outside of Moscow for a spiritual retreat from Thursday through Saturday. Please pray that God's will would be accomplished during this time, that we as a staff would grow closer together and to our Lord, and that it would be a relaxing time. Please pray also for an 11-year old girl named Jessica who will be having a major surgery tomorrow (October 4); Jessica is a girl from the U.S. who came on a work and witness trip to Moscow this summer and who has had major skeletal problems her whole life. Please pray that God would give me His wisdom for all my dealings, whether with people, at school, or with decisions. Praise God for His provision and guidance during these first 8 weeks!

6 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Bubbling Brittany said...

I've never seen It's a wonderful life :-(

Oh and it's 85degrees here today!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Bethany C. said...

Hey Luke! I always enjoy reading your log. "It's A Wonderful Life" is one of the best movies ever and I love Jimmy Stewart (im a huge old movie fan). Keep writing for your words are truly a blessing. See you at school tomorrow.

 
At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke Hays is is storkface brotherstat Eugenemouth. You are without a doubt the buffest 125 pound specimen of 103% MAN I have ever seen. WOWZERS! Those Russian ladies must be dropping jaws as my stud bro walks by! Maybe that explains the broken jaw epidemic that has swept through Moscow as of late. :) Proverbs 31:3! Remember - The little joys are often the most treasured. Have fun in the simple things.

Talk to you soon,

The little/larger brother

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Troy D. Green said...

"But Mary...can't a guy get warm? I just wanna get warm Mary." hahahah Replaying you say that in my head still makes me crack up! Miss you man!

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo, I love chai tea! But I bet it tastes even better there!

When I was in Costa Rica we went to movies a lot because they were cheap in the theatres and they don't dub them. For many students they would have gone crazy without the English input :)

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a Wonderful Life is timeless; and it does help us to realize that no matter what the situation, we do have it good!! Have fun on the staff retreat, and God bless!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home