





It came and went in a flash, but the official first day of my teaching career was a day I’ll never forget. While the school day began at 8:50 a.m., meeting special group of kids on Day 1 has been a process. It all began during the summer, through the countless prayers that were offered up on my students’ behalf, prayers that I would be infused with the Holy Spirit’s authority to teach beyond my own ability. Those prayers culminated yesterday morning as I asked God to anoint the classroom, the year, and especially each student. Combined with the prayers of many, many people, I know the result was awesome! As I look back on yesterday, I can assuredly say that those prayers were answered in a grand fashion!
My class of 17 is simply amazing (by the way, I have one Russian student as well)! They are such an eager bunch, brimming with excitement and the desire to learn lots and do whatever Mr. Hays says. It seemed as if I weren’t teaching at all; all of the words, responses, answers, jokes, interactions, enthusiasm, and energy just flowed in a steady, peaceful stream. In just one day, my class and I already have a very good student-teacher bond – Praise God!! Just one, “Hands raised…eyes on Hays” and the entire class is instantly at attention and silent, ready to learn. It seems like they have already mastered the classroom procedures, and their divergent answers to many questions are quite impressive. Amazing! I am confident that Jesus has His hand on this class and this school year because I could not have asked for a more perfect way to begin my teaching career!
A few notes about the pictures of my finished classroom…
-We’ve adopted a “Superman” theme for classroom management – lots of fun!
-The pictures hanging in the front and back of the room are both of Jesus (a lion in the front, and a picture of his face in the back). The point is the help the fifth graders remember that Jesus is always with us, always watching us, always helping us.
-The bird you see is one that mysteriously joined me as I set up the classroom this week. Even though I tried to help it escape through the windows, it decided to stay and nap in my room for 1.5 hours! Coincidence? I don’t think so. I see it as yet another reminder from the Lord that He is with me, helping me, and placing things along my path to make me smile.
-“Hays’ Amazement Park” is where outstanding student work will be displayed.
-Can you tell that I’m excited about this teaching business?
The final word about sending mail to me: you can send mail or packages through the U.S. Postal service to both the school’s physical address and the International PO (both are reliable). The quicker of the two options is the physical address because it is delivered daily to the school. If you need to send something through FedEx, DHL, etc., it must be sent to the physical address. Thanks for thinking of me!!!
I have so much more I’d like to share, but I need to get some sleep!
Quick story: If you’re in Russia, only use the curved plastic plates that are at check-out lanes for placing your money on them (in Russian culture, business employees do not prefer to exchange money between hands, as is the custom in the U.S.). About a week and a half ago, I picked up one such plate, thinking that it was a complimentary gift for purchasing an alarm clock…I realized that I was wrong when the employees and my friend from the church started to laugh hysterically at me!! It was so funny!
Many more thoughts, stories, and pictures to come!

6 Comments:
Mr. Hays,
Welcome to Moscow and to Hinkson! Our son, Drew, is in your class and he had an incredible first day of school yesterday. He was positive about everything that went on in the classroom. How we praise God for sending a godly man to teach our son and his friends! It's obvious that you have put a lot of prayer and preparation into being Hinkson's 5th grade teacher and we're so thankful. Please let us know if there are any ways that we can be of help to you or any specific ways that we can pray for you. Thanks for your obedience in coming to Moscow. We pray that the Lord will richly bless you and live through you to love and teach your students this year.
Blessings, Brad and Lori Stamey
Luke,
I moved into my new apartment with the Nathans yesterday. I miss you like all get out! Maybe we can arrange some time to meet while you are home for Christmas. I love you little buddy and I'm so glad to hear that all is going well at your school. I'm praying for y'all daily. Love you, little buddy!
~79er
is big jake jake chastain?
Luke,
So glad you're first day went well. Did you come up with that hands raised eyes on hays? Always praying for you!
Brittany
P.S. Can you pray for me this week. I head back to ONU and I am very nervous about classes
Your classroom looks great! I'm glad the students are so eager to learn - I hope they keep that up all year!
Luke - -
The classroom looks great!! Glad you had a great first day!! Here's one for your class.....Jeremiah 33:3 - - "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." That verse got me through GMI!! Take care, and God Bless!!
Gary Cousins
Post a Comment
<< Home