Thursday, August 10, 2006

(This picture was taken in Union Bay, Michigan, a little over two weeks ago)

Before I left for school this morning, I had a great run and an even better time in the Word. I’m currently studying 1 Samuel, and I love it! Today, in chapter 3, one three-word phrase jumped out at me: “Here I am.” Whenever Eli called to Samuel, Samuel would say, “Here I am.” That’s such an interesting sentence. Why? Because it’s always true. If I say “Here I am” while I’m in Moscow, it’s true. If someone in the States says, “Here I am” that’s also true. If someone in Antarctica or the Arctic or underwater or in space says, “Here I am,” it’s true. It’s always true because physically we are always where we are. It’s physically impossible to be anywhere else but “here”. However, it is completely possible to be somewhere else in spirit. It is the presence of body and spirit that Samuel must be saying repeatedly. He’s saying that his will is available and submissive to the will of God. Samuel’s saying that when Eli speaks, he’s listening with his heart; he’s not distracted. Perhaps he unconsciously understood at such a young age that there is an even deeper meaning to his words. If we see the words “I am” as God’s name as spoken in Exodus (3:14), and not so much as referring to Samuel’s existence at the current moment, then we can read it as “Here…God.” Samuel, who “grew up in the presence of the Lord” (2:21), was consciously referring to his presence with Eli in both body and spirit. But in speaking these profound words, he also unconsciously acknowledged the presence of God Almighty in that place. How beautiful!!! Whenever we are here, God is too! He is always here because He always is! Is it any wonder that the God who speaks life into existence and whose breath sustains us also gives our words tremendous power? When we align our mouths and hearts with his purposes (Psalm 19:14), we are responding to His holy calling. He speaks, acknowledging His presence, and then we speak, acknowledging our presence and His. What a gift we can give God and people when we simply say, “Here I am.” The God whose words are the source of life also yearns to speak His presence through us to people. Let’s let Him speak. Here I am, Lord. Here…God.

8 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1 Samuel is one of my fav. books!! I read through it this summer and was amazed by it. I completed my first 5K race this past weekend. Of course it wasn't as fast as you could do it...but I can always improve. I hope you have an awesome day Luke!

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Bubbling Brittany said...

I love how you're still teaching to me and in a way talking to me when you are thousands of miles away. Have a FANTABULOUS DAY!

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke, you are such a great brother, and it always encourages me to hear about your walk. Snail-mail package forthcoming, I promise -- just give me time to get settled in because I moved home today. Praying for you!

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke - -

Great post!! Thinking of the words "Here I am", I thought of you, and went to the book of Isaiah chapter 6 and added two more......."send me!" Getting ready to go to church, so I'll quit rambling.....have a great day!

Gary Cousins

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Jared said...

Keep up the good work, Luke. We will be praying for you back home in Michigan.

Be safe,

Jared

P.S. Let your Да be Да and your нет be нет!!

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were anxious to get home from church to read your blog. I love how you consistently say that you desire to be in God's presence at all times. You have such a love for everyone you meet, and that only comes from the Lord! As always we are praying for you.

I am proud to call you my friend.
Bryce & Family

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Luke. It's cool to see what God's already doing in your life in Russia. (Like there was ever any doubt that He'd do great things in and through you during this time.)

I was asked to let you know that Rev. Milton Bunker is now receiving print outs of your blog each week so he can keep up on what's happening with you while you're there. I'm more than positive that he's praying for you.

God Bless!

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you that it was not easy to keep up with updating regularly! I hope that all is going well, friend...

Бог с вами и Sabikabitz! (ps, that word doesn't translate into Russian. Imagine that!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home