Tuesday, August 15, 2006










I’m sure everyone’s been wondering, “What happened to Luke? He hasn’t blogged in days!” Well, it’s not a matter of desire, because I’ve definitely had a lot to write about, but it’s actually been a matter of availability: I didn’t have internet access over the weekend, and yesterday was quite busy. But that’s OK. I’m learning that it’s very important to not be a slave to any commitment we make, even commitments for the Lord. The only being we are a “slave” to is God Himself (Romans 6:22-23), and in our relationship with Him, it’s not a negative slavery. Instead, we reap a benefit that leads to holiness, which then results in eternal life (v. 23)! All that said, I’m learning to let go, so for the sake of balance I’m not going to have a blog entry every day…it’ll be more sporadic.
Where do I begin on all of the happenings? I think the best way to sum it all up is to make a bulleted list (which is how I think, by the way):

-On Saturday I went to the Nazarene church’s dacha (a house in the country, outside of the big city), which is used as a big youth center for the district. I went with Tanya to buy and deliver all of the food needed for this week’s camp for 60-70 youth/young adults. Lots of fun! Tanya is leading the camp this week, and Davide is in the Ukraine at a youth conference. They are an amazing couple, with such hearts for the Lord (please pray for them). While I was there, I met Yuri, a 23 year-old Russian from St. Petersburg. He’s perhaps the most joyful guy I’ve ever met – we goofed around, and he taught me lots of Russian! The panorama picture is the view from the back of the dacha. Beautiful! The dacha is quite a getaway, and a definite contrast from the big city.
-See the pictures of my apartment room? Davide helped me move into my own apartment on Saturday. God provided the perfect place! It’s got two bedrooms, a living room, bath, and kitchen. Plus, I’m rooming with a great Christian guy named David, who’s fresh out of college (Texas A & M) just like me, and he’s fired up about his ministry with the young people of Moscow. It sounds like a group of older teens/young adults will be meeting regularly in our apartment! Back to the apartment…Davide was so generous with his time. He helped me assemble all of my furniture and gave me a desk and bookshelf – he spent about 4-5 hours with me!
-The last couple pictures are an outside view of the school. Today’s been a very productive day as I’ve gotten most of the work on the classroom done. It looks great, and I greatly anticipate the first day of school (23rd), when I’ll meet my diverse class of 17 5th-graders! Please pray for God’s continued wisdom and guidance with this upcoming school year, which is my first.
-For those of you who have prayed for me in the area of sexual temptation, THANK YOU! Your prayers have been powerful and effective!

On a more personal note, I’d like to share the way God’s been working in my heart. Have you ever had a moment where you read something so poignant, think a thought that floods your mind, or realize a truth that penetrates you to the core? Well, that happened to me yesterday. I was reading the comments on the blog, and one that was anonymously posted said, “Remember to be humble…so you can see the whole picture.” When I read it, a cold chill ran through me. It wasn’t a chill of false guilt; it was the chill of God’s conviction. Why? Because I am all too familiar with the pride that can swell up within me and consume my mind. It creeps in like a shadow…silent and normal-looking, yet devoid of light. At that point yesterday afternoon, the Lord revealed in grand fashion how I need a big position shift, that is knees downward. I am not here in Moscow to be a savior to lost people…Jesus is the only Savior. I am not here to show everyone how well I can teach…Jesus is the only Master teacher. I am not “luminous” Luke at all…I am merely a reflecting mirror of God’s light because He chose me when I didn’t deserve it. I’m not here to figure out how to “sell Jesus” to the many thousands of people whom I pass on any given day…no, there is no selling Jesus because He took care of all the expenses – He bought the world with His life. That leaves me in the same place as everyone here in Moscow, Christian or non-Christian. I am in desperate need of Jesus on a daily, hourly, moment-by-moment basis. I have nothing to offer…except my will. Will I choose each day, each hour, each moment to lay down my will at the feet of Jesus? Will I give my life to the One who gave His life for me? Jesus, I’m sorry for trying to take your place in this world. I’m sorry for the constant flood of self-related thoughts. I’m sorry for seeking the praise of people more frequently than praise from You. Please forgive me. Thank you for revealing the extent of my pride. Please teach me to be humble…please help me to “mourn [my sin] and seek after [You]” (1 Sam. 7:2)

6 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Blogger Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

Hi! That's great you found a place to live and a good roommate. Isn't it wonderful how God provides people everywhere we go to be friends and helpers :) - Denise

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Bubbling Brittany said...

Hope you are having a great day when you get this comment! If you hadn't gotten a chance to read my blog I'd like to announce that I am an AUNT! God bless and thanks for giving me a spiritual thought for the day!- Brittany

 
At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you seem to have SEX on your mind a lot. if you stop thinking about IT you could get on with your life. try your hand to relieve your tension. i am going to sign this as anonymous but U can figure out who i am

 
At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think those standing armoires must be a standard in volunteer living quarters. I had one almost exactly like that in my room the first year in Argentina. And the teddy bears suit you. (You'll know you're going through culture shock when you realize you've got them all named...)

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Troy D. Green said...

LUKE!! I couldn't help but notice how organized your desk is...I love how everything was placed. Thanks for the email-I will be responding soon buddy. Jackie and I just moved in and things are slowing down a bit. Take care. I am praying for you. I'll email you soon!

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to your organized desk look.....you know it wouldn't stay that way on a day to day basis if you had your former roommate in Russia with you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home