Wednesday, August 16, 2006

In case any of you were wondering about the peculiar wallpaper in my apartment, I'll put all of your worries to rest: there are indeed teddy bears covering my room! I actually like it and don't intend on taking it down. I'm assuming that a young child used to live there before I moved in :) When I initially saw the paper, it caused me to remember how my Dad always refers to us kids as "the three bears." So, it's actually a reminder of home every time I look at the walls!

Also, about the picture of the blond-haired guy and me, that's Yuri - in case you were wondering.

Another bit of news: I have updated addresses for mailing things to me.

For UPS, DHL, or other delivery services (more expensive)
Hinkson Christian Academy
Novochereyomushkinskaya 39 Korpus 3
117218 Moscow
RUSSIA

From US Postal Service
Hinkson Christian Academy
International Box 144 Varshavskaya Shosse 37
115127 Moscow
RUSSIA (note the change in zip code and format)

If you ever want to send mail (letters, packages, etc.), the school generally recommends the US Postal service because it goes to the secure International PO, but will take a while longer. If it's a package, be sure to write "No Commercial Value" on the box, so that it will avoid being dissected by customs.

It's been a good day so far. Most of the teaching staff is now here, and I count it a privilege to work alongside so many fine Christian teachers! We're actually eating dinner at the apartment of the 1st and 4th grade teachers tonight! The classroom is shaping up more and more, and school starts just a week from today - WOW!

I find it quite interesting to hear what takes place in 1 Samuel 8. The prophet Samuel was displeased when he heard that the people wanted a king to lead them, so he asked the LORD about it. The LORD said, "Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king" (v. 7, my emphasis). How many times during our lives do we let a biting comment, a displeasing word, a nasty attitude, or a critical and cynical spirit of one of our peers rip us apart? We take such critical words as attacks on ourselves, and then we get bogged down under the assault. This scripture makes me think, “How many of the criticisms that seem like attacks on us are really attacks on our God?” Shouldn't we spend less time worrying about the fact that someone doesn't like us, and instead step back from a potential pity-party to see things from the eternal perspective? Our God is being attacked all the time, and that is a much more serious matter than any personal attacks on us. Perhaps when we see criticism in this light, we will be moved to pray for the deeper spiritual issue at hand and be liberated from the folly of people-pleasing. Perhaps we'll begin to understand a minute fraction of what God faces, and it will motivate us toward Him. God help us see conflict in a different light!

3 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke,

How is it going? Lance is doing a great job! You are in my prayers daily.

Your friend,

DD

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man Luke you're awesome...but can't you atleast wear the spiderman mask to class just one day for your students?

 
At 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke,

Thanks so much for sharing your insights about Samuel with us. Samuel was such an awesome prophet of God. I am so amazed by his strength of character and relationship with God. I'm sure God has you in this place in Scripture for a great purpose. I think of your parents, who like Samuel's mother, prayed for you to have an intense love for the Lord and dedicated you to Him at such an early age. Like Samuel you have chosen the call of God to take His message to others. Your parents have joyfully given you to God and then prepared you to leave no matter the cost to you or to them. I see you as a modern day Samuel. I pray that you will learn this year how to follow God using Samuel as an example.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home