Saturday, August 19, 2006

Hey all! It's with great love and appreciation that I write this entry tonight. I'm in my classroom right now, after having spent a lot of the day working on preparations for next week, and it's completely still and quiet. It hasn't been the easiest day, nor the easiest week. But that's why I'm excited to write and update everyone -- because I so appreciate your love and care.

Life has been hectic and a bit overwhelming at times. I think there is more stress involved in immersing myself in a completely new culture than I realize. It's been almost two weeks now since I left the U.S., and I'm beginning to really understand the saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." I cannot lie and say that it is easy being far away from everyone I'm close to and love. This afternoon it really hit me. It hit me hard that I can't get a hug from any of my friends or family in the States for about four months. It hit me hard that I'm going to have to be responsible for my own balanced meals for a while. It hit me hard that the people I'm closest to are 8,000 miles away. I've had a lot of emotions swimming inside of me, and they all poured out in the form of tears tonight. They were tears of sadness, but they were also tears of surrender because I know I can't do this on my own. It's too overwhelming for just me to handle. The Lord comforted me once again as I worked in my room and the song "Softly and Tenderly" came through my computer speakers: "Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling, calling O Sinner, come home." While my physical home is 1/3 of the way around the world, I took great comfort in knowing that I can come home to Jesus anywhere, because Jesus' home is His loving embrace. While I would greatly like a hug from any of you, there is no place better than in Jesus' arms!

Just a few bits of random information:
  • Mailing stuff to me: I just found out a few days ago that mail/packages that are sent to the school's physical address (not the International PO) will arrive a few days quicker than items sent to the International PO, and both are safe to send to. So feel free to send to either one.
  • In case you were wondering what the building is that's among the trees (Aug. 15), that's the school, Hinkson Christian Academy! School starts on Wednesday. Please pray for me as I still have much planning to do in preparation for the first day!
  • Thank you for loving me and praying for me. The fact that people care and are praying has carried me through many tough moments already.

9 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lifting you up in prayer, Luke. I'd love to tell you that those feelings will go away completely, but honestly, they don't. However, as time goes by you'll find yourself building a new community of loved ones there that lessen the ache. They'll never take the place of your friends and family at home, but they'll become a new family that you'll learn to love dearly, and some day you'll likely even miss them as much as you miss your family in the States.

Praying for you during this time of transition and growth. Praying for comfort and peace and affirmation. Praying for reassurance. You're right, God's right there with you, and you have a support network here at home lifting you up at all times.

God bless.

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Bubbling Brittany said...

“A teardrop on earth summons the King of heaven”- Charles Swindoll

I remembered this quote and thought it fit exactly what you were saying in your entry today. I hope that my comments bring you peace and a smile. May God shower his blessings upon you!

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke,
Your posts have not only let me know what's going on with you (which I enjoy hearing), but have also helped me in my own spiritual walk as I struggle with issues of temptation on a daily basis. Reading about your determination to serve God and glorify God in EVERYTHING you do is so encouraging to me, and I appreciate your willingness to share! You will certainly be in my prayers throughout this next year and I am excited to continue to read what God is doing in and through you!!

 
At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder that we can always "run home" to Jesus. He is always ready for us to run right back into His loving arms, and He is always ready to love us completely, like no one else can. Sometimes it is so easy to forget what incredible love and comfort Jesus offers, especially during the times when I am ignoring Him and running away. Your reminder that His arms are always open is exactly what I needed to hear tonight! God bless! You are certainly in my prayers!

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

I know Culture Shock can be hard. I will be praying that each week you will become more acustomed to your life there.

I'm here at Purdue starting Grad School and meeting all kinds of people in your shoes. People who came here for school and are having to adjust to life here and the cold winters (they're all from Latin America and have never seen snow!)

I hope you have a wonderful first week of teaching.

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am no scholar with an inspiring quote to give to you. I am not even a best friend or a person bubbling with wisdom to comfort you. It's just me, your 17 year old friend back here in Flushing. I miss you very much and am continually praying for you. I genuinely miss your corny jokes. Remember the Marten you made for me? It's on my wall above my TV and I pray for you everytime I see it. I'm sure God is very proud of you, MISS YOU!

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. All the kids at the daycare love you. They told me I should try to be like Mr. Luke.

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke, I can't say that I know what it's like to be across the ocean, but I can say I know what it's like to be lonely and out on your own. I shed quite a few tears myself this summer in Nashville. I am going to mail you an excerpt of "My Utmost for His Highest" that really helped me. I am also going to email it to you right after I write this comment. But if you have a copy of the book, you can try to look it up. It's called something like "Receiving Oneself in the Fires of Sorrow" and I think it's June 22.

So while you're waiting on advice from Brother Ozzy (Chambers), here's some thoughts from me... think of the special ways the Lord can work in your life through the experience of being so far away. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, for you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance, and perseverance must finish its work so that you can be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (I didn't look at a Bible but I think I got that right.) That includes the emotional trails.

And remember that it's not wrong to feel pain in the separation. I just wrote on my blog the other day that God's design for us as relational beings really seems to have its drawbacks on our side of the fence... namely loneliness and separation anxiety. Being a relational being can really stink (I used a different word but I cleaned it up for you. I remembered. Yay!).

Love you and praying for you as always.

 
At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Luke,
Thanks for keeping us posted on your life in Russia. What an awesome assignment you have! We will keep you in our prayers and lift you up. God bless you in all you do and give you joy in His service. Joy transcends our situation.
"There is much that I cannot give you, but there is much that you can take. The gloom of this world is but for a moment. Behind it lies joy. Take joy."
- Fra Giovanni, written in the 1600s
Take joy, Luke! We're pulling for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home